The Lost Topic Tapes: Isle of Wight 1957

The Lost Topic Tapes: Isle of Wight 1957 is an album by American folk musician Ramblin‘ Jack Elliott, released in 2004. Elliott recorded a number of albums on the Topic label in London in the 1950s. The songs on this compilation are taken from rediscovered tapes found in the British Library in London. They were recorded on a yacht at Cowes Harbour in 1957. Several songs were issued in Britain on Jack Takes the Floor.

Writing for Allmusic, music critic Steve Leggett wrote the album „Brooklyn’s most famous folk cowboy, Ramblin‘ Jack Elliott was part genuine preservationist and part a walking, talking pastiche of Woody Guthrie crossed with a back-porch Appalachian moonshiner. The public act sometimes gets in the way of the fact that Elliott was an excellent interpreter of American traditional folk material, carefully representing its styles and rhythms on guitar and banjo, and he duplicated rural vocal nuances with purposeful precision…“

Production notes:

Austrian Football League 2007

Die Austrian Football League 2007 ist die 23. Spielzeit der höchsten österreichischen Spielklasse der Männer im American Football. Sie begann am 24. März 2007 mit dem Spiel der Swarco Raiders Tirol gegen die Turek Graz Giants (20-35) und endete am 14. Juli 2007 mit dem Sieg und damit dem Meistertitel der Dodge Vikings Vienna gegen die Turek Graz Giants (42-14) in der Austrian Bowl XXIII auf der Hohen Warte in Wien.

G = Games, W = Wins, L = Losses, T = Ties, PCT = Winning Percentage, PF= Points For, PA = Points Against, Diff = Difference


Die am Ende der Saison bekannt gegebenen Liga-MVPs sind:

1984 | 1985 (Nicht ausgetragen) | 1986 | 1987 | 1988 | 1989 | 1990 | 1991 | 1992 | 1993 | 1994 | 1995 | 1996 | 1997 | 1998 | 1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016

Worksop Town FC

Worksop Town F.C er en engelsk fotballklubb opprettet i 1861 som hevder den er verdens eldste. De spiller for tiden i Conference North i det engelske ligasystemet.

Aldershot Town  · Altrincham  · Barrow  · Boreham Wood  · Braintree Town  · Bromley  · Cheltenham Town  · Chester  · Dover Athletic  · Eastleigh  · Halifax Town  · Forest Green Rovers  · Gateshead  · Grimsby Town  · Guiseley  · Kidderminster Harriers  · Lincoln City  · Macclesfield Town  · Southport  · Torquay United  · Tranmere Rovers  · Welling United  · Woking  · Wrexham

Aggborough  · Blundell Park  · Crabble Athletic Ground  · Cressing Road  · Deva Stadium  · Fortress Stadium  · Gateshead International Stadium  · Haig Avenue  · Holker Street  · Kingfield Stadium  · Meadow Park  · Moss Lane  · Moss Rose  · Nethermoor Park  · Park View Road  · Plainmoor  · Prenton Park  · Racecourse Ground  · Recreation Ground  · Sincil Bank  · Ten Acres  · The New Lawn  · The Shay  · Whaddon Road

Fylde  · Telford United  · Alfreton Town  · Boston United  · Brackley Town  · Bradford Park Avenue  · Chorley  · Corby Town  · Curzon Ashton  · United of Manchester  · Gainsborough Trinity  · Gloucester City  · Harrogate Town  · Hednesford Town  · Lowestoft Town  · North Ferriby United  · Nuneaton Town  · Solihull Moors  · Stalybridge Celtic  · Stockport County  · Tamworth  · Worcester City

Basingstoke Town  · Bath City  · Bishop’s Stortford  · Chelmsford City  · Concord Rangers  · Dartford  · Eastbourne Borough  · Ebbsfleet United  · Gosport Borough  · Havant & Waterlooville  · Hayes & Yeading United  · Hemel Hempstead Town  · Maidenhead United  · Maidstone United  · Margate  · Oxford City  · St Albans City  · Sutton United  · Truro City  · Wealdstone  · Weston-super-Mare  · Whitehawk

1979–80 · 1980–81 · 1981–82 · 1982–83 · 1983–84 · 1984–85 · 1985–86 · 1986–87 · 1987–1988 · 1988–89 · 1989–90 · 1990–91 · 1991–92 · 1992–1993 · 1993–1994 · 1994–95 · 1995–96 · 1996–97 · 1997–98 · 1998–99 · 1999–2000 · 2000–01 · 2001–2002 · 2002–03 · 2003–04 · 2004–05 · 2005–06 · 2006–07 · 2007–08 · 2008–09 · 2009–10 · 2010–11 · 2011–12 · 2012–13 · 2013–14 · 2014–15 · 2015–16

Premier League · Football League (Championship, League One, League Two) · Football Conference (National, North, South)

Northern Premier League (Premier, North, South) · Southern League (Premier, Midlands, South & West) · Isthmian League (Premier, North, South)

FA-cupen · Ligacupen · Community Shield · Football League Trophy · FA Trophy · FA Vase · FA NLS Cup

The Football Association (FA) · England (herrer) · England (kvinner) · Liste over klubber · Rekorder

71-407

ОАО «Уралтрансмаш»

71-407 – 63
71-407-01 – 3

2008

2009 — настоящее время

75 км/ч

не более 20,5 т

27

190 (8 чел/м²)

39%

550 В

24 В

двухступенчатый

7,36

3

люминесцентное

лампы накаливания 24 В

воздушное от калорифера

20

1 524 мм

15 900 мм

2 500 мм

3 055 мм

7 460 мм

1 900 мм

706 мм

1 300 мм

4 х АТЧД-225-4УХЛ2

54х4 кВт

частотно-управляемая на IGBT-транзисторах

1,6 кВт·ч/км

71-407 — российский пассажирский односторонний четырёхосный высокопольный трамвайный вагон с переменным уровнем пола и асинхронным тяговым электродвигателем производства ОАО «Уралтрансмаш». Выпускается с 2009 года. За 5 лет изготовлено 65 серийных экземпляров. По состоянию на октябрь 2015 года трамваи данной модели эксплуатируются в Екатеринбурге, Нижнем Новгороде, Туле, Краснодаре, Таганроге, Нижнем Тагиле и Волгограде (вагон находится на тестовых испытаниях).

Обозначение 71-407 расшифровывается следующим образом: 7 означает трамвай, 1 — государство производителя (Россия), 4 — номер завода (УТМ), 07 — номер модели.

Вагон создан на базе предыдущих моделей трамваев производства ОАО «Уралтрансмаш». По сути является более углублённой модернизацией вагона 71-405 с пониженным полом в средней части кузова. Первый вагон данной модели был представлен на выставке «Магистраль – 2009» в Нижнем Тагиле 10 сентября 2009 года. В настоящее время вагон эксплуатируется в шести городах России.

С 24 ноября 2014 года вагон 71-407-01 эксплуатируется в Волгограде.

Вагон может эксплуатироваться как одиночно, так и в СМЕ из двух вагонов. Сцепные устройства унифицированы со сцепными устройствами вагонов T3. Площадь низкопольной части пассажирского салона составляет 39 %.

Maqsud Shah

Maqsud Shah (1864 – 1930) (Shah Mexsut, Chinese: 沙木胡索特) (Uyghur: مقصود شاه‎), was the Uyghur Jasagh Prince (Qinwang) of the Kumul from 1908 to 1930.

He succeeded his father Muhammmad Shah in 1908 as Khan of Kumul. The Khans were officially vassals to the Qing Dynasty Emperor of China, and every six years were required to visit Beijing to be a servant to the Emperor during a period of 40 days.

In 1912, Qing Dynasty was replaced by Republic of China, and Yang Zengxin became Governor in Xinjiang. Yang was a monarchist and supported the Khanate The Kumul maintained its status as a vassal Khanate of the Republic of China. In 1912 a rebellion also broke out against his oppressive rule. Maqsud spoke fluent Chinese. He had Chinese and Uyghur troops at his disposal. He sent melons as tribute to the Emperor. The Kumul Khanate was the only part of Xinjiang which was not opened to settlement by Han Chinese. All other parts were subject to settlement encouraged by the government.

Maqsud’s family was descended from Chaghatai Khan, and they ruled since the Ming Dynasty. Maqsud Shah was 47 years old in 1911. All the other Khans in Turkestan had gone, the Kumul Khanate was the only one left. Maqsud spoke Turki in Chinese accent and had Chinese clothing. Maqsud also drank enormous amounts of alcohol, and did not allow anyone to take pictures of him.

Maqsud Shah had Yulbars Khan, the Tiger Prince of Hami as his chancellor at court.

Twenty one Begs administered Kumul under the Khan, and he received 1,200 taels in silver from the Xinjiang government after he sent tribute. He was also called King of the Gobi. His son Nasir was designated as his heir.

When Yang Zengxin was assassinated in 1928, he was replaced by the intolerant Jin Shuren.

Upon Maqsud Shah’s death in 1930 Governor Jin Shuren replaced the Khanate with three normal provincial administrative districts Hami, Yihe, Yiwu. Nasir was not allowed to succeed him to the throne. This set off the Kumul Rebellion.

John M. Culkin

John M. Culkin, SJ, PhD (1928-July 23, 1993), leading media scholar and critic, educator, writer and consultant.

John Culkin was born in 1928 to an Irish-Catholic family from Brooklyn. He and his brother Gerald attended Xavier High School, an elite Jesuit College Preparatory High School, in Manhattan where he was on the basketball team. He graduated from there in 1950 and then entered the Society of Jesus. He attended Bellarmine College, was ordained at Fordham University and received a doctorate in education from Harvard University.

At Jesuit seminary, John Culkin first became interested in media studies. Later, at the Harvard Graduate School of Education, Father Culkin’s dissertation was a curriculum to study film. There he also met Marshall McLuhan and they became lifelong colleagues because of their mutual interest in mass media and its effect on society. McLuhan appointed Father Culkin to a position at the University of Toronto. In 1964, Father Culkin came to Fordham University, convinced them to hire McLuhan for a year, and earned a reputation as an intellectual for his interest in media studies.

In 1969 Culkin left the Jesuit priesthood and formed the Center for Understanding Media, named after a McLuhan book. He started a master’s program through the center to study media which was housed initially at Antioch College and subsequently moved to the New School for Social Research where he remained until 1978. There his Center for Understanding Media administered the film portion of the Artists in Schools program of the National Endowment for the Arts and created a forum for filmmakers in the education field to preview important films, the Metropolitan Area Film Instructors Association.

Culkin advocated media studies in public school systems. He observed that children watch TV thousands more hours than they study. Culkin knew that films, radio, and TV profoundly affect young people. He believed that even young children should be taught to analyze mass media, that new means of communication should enhance education, that programming quality should be improved and focused on childhood development. He came to believe that children should examine the arts as experience, to develop their own positive value system.

Culkin advised the creators of Sesame Street. In 1964 he helped organize parochial school instruction in TV. In 1970 he proposed a special cable TV channel for children.

After 1973, he promoted Unifon, a 40-character phonemic English alphabet, to combat illiteracy.

On October 7, 1974, he testified before the House Select Subcommittee on Education, which later decided to create the American Film Institute as an independent agency.

Culkin formed Hearth Communications, a private consulting firm, with business partner Frank Maguire. Their consulting client list soon became a who’s who of international corporations and organizations.

Indicative of his varied interests and expertise, Culkin published many articles and wrote several books. He analyzed how a story might be told in print, film and television in a book called “Trilogy”. Other topics for his articles included theology, the Chicago Cubs, Trachtenberg system of Math, the Dvorak Simplified Keyboard, and how to make our calendar more accurate.

The Media Ecology Association annual awards includes The John Culkin Award for Outstanding Praxis in the Field of Media Ecology.

Culkin summarized the driving force behind his life work in a 1981 interview with Maria P. Robbins, then a Contributing Editor for Television and Children Journal.

“So trying to keep certain things off television or out of books is futile. That same energy should be applied to helping children develop their own capacities for judgment, taste and sensitivity, so that they know how to make decisions that are based, we hope, on positive values.”

Samoset

Samoset, also Somerset, (c. 1590–1653) was an Abenaki sagamore and the first Native American to make contact with the Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony. On March 16, 1621, the settlers were more than surprised when Samoset strolled straight through the middle of the encampment at Plymouth Colony and greeted them in English, which he had begun to learn from English fishermen frequenting the waters of what now is Maine.

Samoset was a sagamore (subordinate chief) of an Eastern Abenaki tribe that resided at that time in what now is Maine. An English fishing camp had been established to harvest from the bountiful area now called the Gulf of Maine. Samoset learned some English from fishermen who came to fish off Monhegan Island and he knew most ship captains by name.

The Abenaki language is an Algonquian language related to the Massachusett language of the Nauset and Wampanoag people of the area around Plymouth Colony. Samoset was visiting the Wampanoag chieftain Massasoit at the time of the historic event.

On March 16, 1621, Samoset entered the encampment at Plymouth, greeted the colonists in English, and asked for beer. After spending the night with the Pilgrims, he left to return with five others, who brought deer-skins to trade. As it was Sunday, the colonists declined to trade that day, but offered them some food.

On March 22, 1621, Samoset came back with Squanto, the last remaining Patuxet tribesman, who spoke much better English than he. Squanto arranged a meeting with Massasoit.

In 1624, English Captain Christopher Levett entertained Samoset and other Native American leaders in the harbor of present-day Portland, Maine.

Samoset is believed to have died around 1653 in what today is Bristol, Maine.

The orthography of Samoset’s name varied depending on which Englishman was discussing him. Although he appeared as Samoset in some accounts, in others he appeared as Somerset. This is probably a folk etymology from Somerset in the West Country, home of many English sailors. Levett used the spelling Somerset in his account; although himself a Yorkshireman, he lived in the West Country and his wife was from Somerset.

Mourt’s Relation is a 1622 account of the early days of Plymouth Colony. It describes Samoset’s visit thus:

Friday the 16th a fair warm day towards; this morning we determined to conclude of the military orders, which we had begun to consider of before but were interrupted by the savages, as we mentioned formerly; and whilst we were busied hereabout, we were interrupted again, for there presented himself a savage, which caused an alarm. He very boldly came all alone and along the houses straight to the rendezvous, where we intercepted him, not suffering him to go in, as undoubtedly he would, out of his boldness. He saluted us in English, and bade us welcome, for he had learned some broken English among the Englishmen that came to fish at Monchiggon, and knew by name the most of the captains, commanders, and masters that usually come. He was a man free in speech, so far as he could express his mind, and of a seemly carriage. We questioned him of many things; he was the first savage we could meet withal. He said he was not of these parts, but of Morattiggon, and one of the sagamores or lords thereof, and had been eight months in these parts, it lying hence a day’s sail with a great wind, and five days by land. He discoursed of the whole country, and of every province, and of their sagamores, and their number of men, and strength. The wind being to rise a little, we cast a horseman’s coat about him, for he was stark naked, only a leather about his waist, with a fringe about a span long, or little more; he had a bow and two arrows, the one headed, and the other unheaded. He was a tall straight man, the hair of his head black, long behind, only short before, none on his face at all; he asked some beer, but we gave him strong water and biscuit, and butter, and cheese, and pudding, and a piece of mallard, all which he liked well, and had been acquainted with such amongst the English. He told us the place where we now live is called Patuxet, and that about four years ago all the inhabitants died of an extraordinary plague, and there is neither man, woman, nor child remaining, as indeed we have found none, so as there is none to hinder our possession, or to lay claim unto it. All the afternoon we spent in communication with him; we would gladly have been rid of him at night, but he was not willing to go this night. Then we thought to carry him on shipboard, wherewith he was well content, and went into the shallop, but the wind was high and the water scant, that it could not return back. We lodged him that night at Stephen Hopkins‘ house, and watched him.

The next day he went away back to the Massasoits, from whence he said he came, who are our next bordering neighbors. They are sixty strong, as he saith. The Nausets are as near southeast of them, and are a hundred strong, and those were they of whom our people were encountered, as before related. They are much incensed and provoked against the English, and about eight months ago slew three Englishmen, and two more hardly escaped by flight to Monchiggon; they were Sir Ferdinando Gorges his men, as this savage told us, as he did likewise of the huggery, that is, fight, that our discoverers had with the Nausets, and of our tools that were taken out of the woods, which we willed him should be brought again, otherwise, we would right ourselves. These people are ill affected towards the English, by reason of one Hunt, a master of a ship, who deceived the people, and got them under color of trucking with them, twenty out of this very place where we inhabit, and seven men from Nauset, and carried them away, and sold them for slaves like a wretched man (for twenty pound a man) that cares not what mischief he doth for his profit.

Saturday, in the morning we dismissed the savage, and gave him a knife, a bracelet, and a ring; he promised within a night or two to come again, and to bring with him some of the Massasoits, our neighbors, with such beavers‘ skins as they had to truck with us.

The Samoset Council of the Boy Scouts of America (located in north central Wisconsin) is named after Samoset, along with middle schools in Lake Ronkonkoma, New York, and Leominster, Massachusetts, and an elementary school in Samoset, Florida, a town that also is named for him.[citation needed]

The Battle of the Blue and the Grey

The Battle of the Blue and the Grey“ is the Bee Gees‘ first single, backed by „The Three Kisses of Love“ and released on March 22, 1963. Like all the Bee Gees‘ output prior to 1967 (with the notable exception of Spicks and Specks) it was only released in Australia. It was performed in Australian television Bandstand, the footage of that performance still exists. It reached #93 in Australia.

In September 1963, it was included as the third track on their first EP The Bee Gees. Neither song appeared on an album until the mop-up compilation Turn Around, Look at Us in 1967 but both are included on the 1998 compilation Brilliant from Birth which collects all of the Australian material.

It was written by Barry Gibb when he was only 16 years old. Col Joye recalls producing the sessions and using his backing band the Joy Boys, the members were Kevin Jacobsen, John Bogie, Laurie Erwin, Norm Day, Dave Bridge, Bruce Gurr and Ron Patton. As was the norm for the Gibb brothers at the time, Barry sang the vocal solos while Robin and Maurice harmonised around him. It was recorded on February 1963 in Festival Studio, Sydney. Robert Iredale was the engineer in charge.

„The Battle of the Blue and the Grey“ was released on 22 March 1963. The song failed to become the hit that their record company had hoped for. In the words of Robin Gibb: „We recorded our first flop based on the story of the American Civil War. Now this record was very hot with one guy 2SM in Sydney. He was playing all this time and, of course, it didn’t do anything“. The song did reach the top twenty in the local Sydney chart. While the song achieved a reasonable amount of publicity, the music press also made mention of one other member of the household. Tucked away in small print, was news that their sister Lesley had also embarked on a show business career in Surfer’s Paradise as a snake-dancer.

The song’s length is 2:05 like most of their Australian releases. In an attempt to promote the single, stories appeared in Sydney newspapers about the new ’singing group‘ and its young songwriter.

The song is about war. It bore a resemblance to Johnny Horton’s 1959 hit „Battle of New Orleans“ albeit somewhat more violent with references to shooting people ‚full of lead‘. The story was of a retired soldier remembering his fighting experiences including dealings with the real historical figure Stonewall Jackson.

Îles Arginuses

Vous pouvez partager vos connaissances en l’améliorant (comment ?) selon les recommandations des projets correspondants.

Géolocalisation sur la carte : [[Modèle:Géolocalisation/Îles Égéennes]]

Géolocalisation sur la carte : Turquie

Les îles Arginuses sont des îles de la mer Égée.

Elle se situent dans la mer mer Égée, au large de la côte de l’Asie Mineure (la région antique de l’Éolide), entre Bademlin (l’ancienne Canae) et Aliağa (l’ancienne Cymé) et face à l’ile de Lesbos. Autrefois aux nombre de trois, elle ne sont plus que deux la troisième ayant été depuis reliée au continent par accumulation de sédiments

La bataille navale des Arginuses est l’un des derniers épisodes de la guerre du Péloponnèse, un des derniers sursauts d’Athènes avant son écrasement final en -404. Lors de cette bataille, les Athéniens, commandés par huit généraux, défirent la flotte des Spartiates commandée par Callicratidas en -406, mais une tempête empêcha les Athéniens de recueillir leur cadavres : en rentrant à Athènes, tous les généraux furent condamnés à mort. Socrate s’illustra en prenant leur défense au cours du procès.

Marie-Nicolas Bouillet et Alexis Chassang (dir.), « Îles Arginuses » dans Dictionnaire universel d’histoire et de géographie, (Wikisource)

Keith Hough

Keith Hough (17 March 1908, date of death unknown) was an Australian rules footballer who played 120 games for Claremont in the West Australian National Football League (WANFL) during the late 1920s and 1930s. He missed the 1931 season because South Melbourne signed him, but the WANFL refused consistently to clear him.

A half back flanker from Bunbury, Hough made his league debut in the 1928 season with Claremont, who at the time were called Claremont-Cottesloe. He won the first of his two fairest and best awards that year and took out the other in 1932, the same season he became Claremont’s first Sandover Medallist with what was then a record number of votes. Hough had come close to winning the Sandover two years earlier when he finished second to Ted Flemming.

Although he played in Claremont’s losing Grand Final team of 1936, the club had struggled severely in earlier seasons, having won only 35 and drawn two games in the previous seven seasons Hough played.

Hough represented Western Australia at interstate football on eight occasions.